Future Of Media (S.T.E.A.M. School)

Future of Media:
Drones, AR/VR, Greening of Production & Filming Processes
2,000 participants were surveyed in Canada and the brain activity of 112 others was studied using electroencephalograms. The results showed the average human attention span has fallen from 12 seconds in 2000, or around the time the mobile revolution began, to eight seconds. Goldfish, meanwhile, are believed to have an attention span of nine seconds. Emergence of second and third screens and gamification provide potential to go beyond traditional forms of media and hold user attention better.
The challenges:
(a) How can we cater to short attention spans with new forms of media, making it greener, interactive and more engaging at the same time?
(b) Enhancing AR/VR experiences

Reminds me of this xkcd comic… it’s always doom and gloom in the headlines. And in typical digital media fashion the main point of the study has not been brought across at all. Not to say that the study itself has any scientific merit what-so-ever. Read the methods section on page 50; you’ll laugh your ass off!

Coming back to the topic at hand, might I suggest that we discuss the problems first before suggesting solutions? Studies have shown that it significantly increases the chances of striking on the ‘right’ solution.

P.S. I’m Amitabh aka tinkrmind. fb, Portfolio(still being updated)
I like messing around with electronics(arduino, RPi that sort of stuff)
Looking forward to the school!

My name is Nikhil. I’m a final year mechanical engineering student.

Read the article by Microsoft. Its what this entire topic is based on.
Here’s what the Time and NY Times had to say about it.

However there are certain loopholes in the study. Found this article

I’m not sure if we are to tackle both the challenges given to us or just one. Although AR VR seems to be a very straight answer to enhancing attention span. So I guess we’d be working on enhancing AR VR and try to incorporate it in our traditional forms of information delivery so as to engage people thereby increasing the attention span.

That sounds like a good idea.

Hello. See you at school :slight_smile:

I think we should look at a broader picture and not focus on increasing attention span at all. The science is dubious at best and it’s to know whether something we make works without arduous experiments. We can instead work on making media more engaging. I really like the idea of bringing digital information into the physical world. For example this is a wallet that gets harder to open as you bank balance decreases! Perhaps we can explore something along similar lines.