3D printing hacks/tips

This discussion topic is about 3D printing hacks. Anything interesting you find out about 3d printing or any interesting projects, please do share here.

3D print yourself
I was fascinated by seeing this Instructable.
Has anyone at the MA tried this out? any suggestions for me?

I’ll try it out soon and update this post.

We’ve done it earlier. We used a Kinect to manually scan a person over 360 deg and then 3D print. A lot of post-processing was required to clean up the scan data. You’ll find 3D printed busts somewhere on the facebook albums or on the Asylum Flickr stream. I’m not aware about the software toolchain used to achieve this. @Vaibhav may know

Here at the Delhi Asylum, we’ve used the RealSense 3D scanner for scanning everything from objects to people. That particular scanner generates fairly high resolution scan data, which can both be a blessing and a curse, because while it retains details, it makes it fairly difficult to work with in terms of poly counts.

Like Anool mentioned, you could use a Kinect to scan your subject. It works fine, but the Kinect provides much less detail, and features can often get mixed up.

The scanned data then needs to be cleaned up in an application like Autodesk Meshmixer. Depending on the extent of post production needed or desired, you could also polish up the geometry in a digital sculpting application like Zbrush or Mudbox.

We print them at a resolution of 0.2mm, which gives us good results with full body prints, or 0.1mm if it’s a bust to ensure adequate detail around facial features, etc.

The prints are then given an acetone bath, this ensures the ridges (which happen due to the layering of filament in FDM) are made smooth. This is of course an optional step.

The busts are then manually painted. We have a couple of artists here talented at sculptural painting. They paint over the prints with acrylic paints, and that’s how we do those busts.

Here’s a few of those busts we’ve printed here.

Skanect gets you good results with Primesense of Kinect sensors… The software does all the magic needed (hole-fill, reduction and printability)… Still getting good results with it after years.